II Edition of NY Portuguese Short Film Festival
Rules and Regulations
About NY Portuguese Short Film Festival
The NY Portuguese Short Film Festival (NYPSFF) is a Portuguese short film festival, happening in June 1 and 2, 2012 in New York and Portugal, simultaneously.
The NYPSFF (I Edition, June 2011), was the first Portuguese short film festival in the United States, and it was born from the need to show Portuguese contemporary cinema abroad and to showcase the best work of the new generation of young Portuguese filmmakers.
After the broad acceptance from the American public to the festival, Arte Institute has taken NYPSFF to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in December 2011, largely amplifying the universe for Portuguese cinema viewers.
Who can apply?
1. Individuals residing in Portugal or abroad who are of Portuguese nationality.
2. Production companies in Portugal or abroad with Portuguese short films produced.
3. Portuguese educational institutions in conjunction with their students.
The responsible person for the film submission must have had a main role in its production.
Submission acceptance criteria
1. The film running time should not exceed 20 minutes, and must have been produced in 2011 or 2012.
2. Films in any language will be accepted, given that proper subtitles in English and/or Portuguese are made available.
3. All genres, theme and styles will be accepted.
4. More than one film may be submitted by the same applicant.
Submission process (CLOSED)
1.Complete submission form online.
2. Once having successfully submitted the form online, a submission confirmation message and instructions for the fee payment will appear.
Applications received between January 5 and January 30: 15 Euros
Applications received between January 31 and February 29: 20 Euros
Applications received between March 1 and March 10: 25 Euros
Students and NYPSFF 2011 participants are exempt from payment of the submission fee (students must send a copy of their student card or a letter from their school).
There will be no refunds for non selected films.
3. After the fee payment, the applicant will receive an e-mail confirming the successful submission and fee reception.
4. Upon confirmation e-mail reception, the applicant must send the short film, in either in DVD format or a private link with a password. The short film should be sent to email@example.com or mailed to:
Arte Institute 550 Broome Street,
#19 New York,
Please note that the submission process is not complete until the NYPSFF’s organization has received the film.
The submission period will run from January 5, 2012 to March 10, 2012.
In case you decide to mail your submission, make sure it is delivered by March 10, 2012.
Short Film Selection
The short films will be subject to a judging panel, composed by:
Joana Vicente, Executive Director of Independent Filmmaker Project, New York
Luísa Sequeira, Executive Director of Shortcutz, Porto, Portugal
Benedita Pereira, Actress, winner of 2009 Portugal Television Awards, Best Actress
Richard Peña, Director of Lincoln Film Society, New York
Javier Rioyo, Director of Instituto Cervantes, New York
Brad Balfour, Editor-in-Chief/CEO of Film Festival Traveler, New York
João Maria Abreu, Journalist, Portugal
The judging panel will be responsible for the selection of short films. Based on this selection, Arte Institute will organize the NYPSFF 2012 program.
There will be awards for the winners of NYPSFF 2012.
When and how will applicants know if their film was selected?
All applicants who have successfully completed the submission process will be informed about the status of their application via e-mail, by the end of April, 2012.
How can I get more information?
For more information please contact the NY Portuguese Short Film Festival organization by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at +1 6463736923, or visit http://www.arteinstitute.org/shortfilmfestival .