Arte Institute is pleased to present the jazz singer Maria Mendes in concert, at the Gershwin Hotel, January 22, 8.30 pm.
USA tour dates
22.01.14 | Gershwin Hotel Hall, New York NY, 8.30 pm
23.01.14 | Chris Jazz Cafe, Philadelphia PA, 7 pm
25.01.14 | South Shore Jewish Center´Ballroom, Long Island, 8 pm
27.01.14 | Blue Note Jazz Club, New York NY, 8 pm and 10.30 pm
30.01.14 | Germano s Jazz Trattoria, Baltimore MD, 7.30 pm
About Maria Mendes:
Portuguese rising star jazz vocalist | Exotic jazz with a Portuguese nostalgia
- "I see a promissing and shining future for this young talented singer" QUINCY JONES
- “Sparkling debut! Mendes makes clear she has absolutely nothing to prove” ALL ABOUT JAZZ (USA)
- “A very honest and moving debut. Maria is a wonderful singer with a beautiful talent and her Along the Road is an album sung from the heart.” Sheila Jordan (USA)
Maria Mendes’ sold out performances in Switzerland, Brazil, Portugal and
Holland have been drawing the attention of the jazz media worldwide and have
gotten great reviews considering her to be one of the most promising singers
in the European Jazz scene.
The Portuguese vocalist is remarkable for her crystal clear voice, creative
and exciting phrasing and outstanding vocal virtuosity. Her unique vocal
abilities have been praised internationally by jazz critics and jazz
musicians, awarding her with significant international jazz vocal prizes.
Maria comes from a dynasty of Portuguese musicians and is educated a Jazz
vocalist in Porto, Brussels, and Rotterdam.
Her culturally rich background has supplied her with the richness of the
classical music, the Bossa Nova’s gentle grooves and the American jazz
classics of the early 50s.
Born in Porto (Portugal) and living in Rotterdam (Netherlands) since 2007,
it was during her master thesis at Rotterdam’s Codarts university that Maria
sought to explore her passion for Jazz and discover her connection with the
Bossa Nova. These studies have given her the perfect conditions for the
achievement on her uniqueness in style. This is probably what led the
international press to classify the sound of Maria Mendes’s debut album as
an “Exotic jazz with a Portuguese nostalgia”.
Her debut album “Along the Road” has been released worldwide in May 2012 by
the New York based jazz label, DotTime Records. With the international
release tour of “Along the Road” Maria has achieved a loyally following
audience in each country she performs.
-Winner of the “Nederlands Jazz Vocalisten Concours”, HOLLAND | 2009
- Runner-up at the “Montreux Jazz Voice Competition” SWITZERLAND | 2010
(president of the jury was jazz legend Quincy Jones)
- 1st prize for Improvisation and 2nd prize overall at the “Jazz Voices
International competition”, LITHUANIA | 2010
- Public prize at the “Prix du Port”, HOLLAND | 2009
- Runner-up of the “Erasmus Jazz Prize”, HOLLAND | 2008
- Runner-up of the “Brussels Young Jazz Singers Competition”, BELGIUM |
- De Doelen, HOLLAND | 2013
- OffBeat Jazz Festival, SWITZERLAND | 2013
- Festival da Jazz St. Moritz -Winter edition- SWITZERLAND | 2013
- Sesc Pompeia SP, BRAZIL | 2013
- North Sea Jazz Club, HOLLAND | 2012
- Teatro Rivoli Porto, PORTUGAL | 2012
- Festival de Música de Inverno do Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL | 2011
- Montreux Jazz Festival, SWITZERLAND | 2010
- North Sea Around Town/org. North SeaJazz Festival, HOLLAND | 2009
- Casa da Música PORTUGAL | 2008
- CCB Lisboa, PORTUGAL | 2008
- Woman Jazz Festival, ITALY | 2008
Camões - Instituto da Cooperação e da Língua supports Arte Institute´s annual program.
Arte Institute Corporate Patrons:
Espirito Santo Investment Bank